This post is sponsored by Universal Standard
I am so excited to share one of my favorite brands with you today!! Universal Standard is chic plus size start up that is based in New York. My blogger bestie Liz from the blog With Wonder and Whimsy visited the Universal Standard showroom while we were in NYC for Full Figured Fashion Week. I knew from following them on Instagram that this was a line that I LOVED. While we were there I purchased their most talked about garment the Geneva dress, and Universal Standard gifted me the Katy dress for this post.
When I sat down to put this post together for you, I couldn’t decide how to frame it out. This is a brand that I really love and wear a lot, so I decided to share my 5 favorite things about Universal Standard with you.
1. Universal Standard pieces are not “fast fashion” each piece is designed to stand the test of time and always be in style. From the quality of the fabrics used, to the design of each piece. I styled the Katy dress with some OTK boots and a leopard clutch, this piece is versatile it could be styled up to take me to a wedding, or slipped into with some booties to head off to work for the day. As a plus size women I have been conditioned to shop “watered down” trends that eventually come in plus sizes. Universal Standard is creating pieces that will always be chic no matter what.
2. Ladies….Universal Standard offers a sizing guarantee. They call it Universal Fit Liberty, and its amazing. Here’s how it works. When a piece from their core collection no longer fits you can return it to U.S. within a year for a completely new garment in your current size. Honestly, when we visited the Universal Standard showroom and learned about this service I was blown away. This is how I like to think about it, and you can’t tell me you have never been there.
Let me take you back, to a 23 year old Anne, I am at home trying to fit into yet another pair of skinny jeans that are now just to small. I am standing in my room crying, how I could I do this, what a waste, I am so fat now, I have nothing to wear. I had no fit guarantee, I had my own self hatred and loathing to fuel yet another yoyo diet that got me nowhere. The Universal Fit Liberty is like a comforting hug to any plus size women. To me its a reminder that I am good enough, I am allowed to have clothing that fits, and I am allowed to love myself at any size.
3. Their clothing is made for the minimalist chic women in all of us. You know she is in there, hiding in that part of your soul that craves chanel bags, and all black everything. That ultra chic girl that throws on a paper sac and looks like a Hadid sister. THAT girl, she lives in me too, and dictates most of my handbag purchases LOL. Universal Standard creates pieces that let that girl come out. The one that can command the boardroom, walk the catwalk(or sidewalk lol), and order extra dessert at dinner. When I wear my U.S. pieces I feel that I can take on the world. There is something so empowering about wearing a garment that has so much thought behind it. There’s almost a pride to it, a confidence in knowing that you are a part of something that is changing the way the fashion industry thinks about plus size bodies.
4. Can we please have a moment of silence for the…Crepe Fabric. Plus size or not you have not loved how a garment feels until you have worn a satin back crepe. The weight is perfect, the way it feels against your skin, and the luxury is next level nice. So nice in fact that Universal Standard offers many of their pieces in the Crepe fabric. Don’t worry girls, I will be linking them, HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE.
5. Universal Standard pieces aren’t for other people, they are for Y O U. This isn’t a brand that is going to create pieces to make other people feel comfortable being around a plus size person, this is brand that creates clothing that isn’t meant to hide/cover/shame a plus size person for having a body. This is brand that celebrates the women that wear their clothing, if you want to rock a sheer dress, DO IT. If you have always wanted to wear a leather top, WEAR IT.
I am so blessed to be able to collaborate with Universal Standard, I am such a huge fan of this brand and their esthetic. Liz and I loved visiting the showroom, if you have a NYC trip planned or are a resident of the city, get yourself over to U.S. stat!
For more on Liz’s take on Universal Standard visit her blog HERE
This post was sponsored by Universal Standard, all opinions are my own.