Lets talk about my beauty routine, specifically my go to makeup routine for everyday(almost). Two years ago I watched a beauty tutorial on highlighting and contouring, and I was HOOKED. I immediately ran out to the nearest Ulta and dropped a chunk of change on everything I was going to need to help my very round face appear sculpted and contoured. Let me tell you I was NOT GOOD at highlighting and contouring. It was so hard and I had a lot of trial and error looks before I got some different products, new brushes and I was able to make Fetch happen FINALLY! (P.S. That is a Mean Girls reference, look it up).
Products that have been a game changer for my beauty routine would be, a beauty blender, liquid eyeliner, and a good highlighting stick.The beauty industry is constantly evolving and getting better, so its ALWAYS a good idea to pop into a good beauty store and chat with an expert on what is new and popular. I am not married to any of the the products that I use (except my mascara) so when I run out of a product I OFTEN get something different.
The hardest part about highlighting and contouring is BLENDING, my go to spots to contour are right under my cheek bones, along my jawline and along my hairline. Contouring is to create a shadow, for a round face you want to create definition, and you want your face to fade into your hairline. Creating that shadow is different for every face, no two people will contour in the exact same areas using the same amount of product. I contour from the ear to under the apples of my cheeks. I apply my bronzer before I apply my blush, this helps with blending and it helps you to shape your blush.
My go to places for highlighting are along the top of my cheek bone, down the middle of my nose and my chin. Much more than that and you start to look really shiny(NOT CUTE). You want to draw light to the features you want to be seen, so when highlighting think “What do I want noticed on my face” this mentality keeps you from highlighting your entire face lol.
Lets break down what products I use and why. Starting from the top!
- Urban Decay Naked Smoky Palette– 54.00 eyeshadow that is AMAZING AND LASTS FOREVER!
- Mac Shroom Eyeshadow– 16.00 eyeshadow that is a perfect base and can work as a highlighter.
- Cargo Water Resistant Blush– 26.00 Blush that is great for building on, and perfect for summer activities
- Clinique Stay Matte Powder– 24.00 Powder that works great as a topper for foundation and concealer, or can stand on its own for a light makeup day. *If you have acne put concealer on first under this powder*
- The Balm Hot Mama Blush– 20.00 Great blush that also has highlighting qualities. Goes on fantastic and is subtle.
- Clinique Stay Matte Liquid Foundation– This foundation is perfect for oily skin, I use it as a base foundation and then build from there with concealer and then powder.
- They’re Real Mascara from Benefit– 24.00 This is HANDS DOWN the best mascara ever, believe me I am not married to any of my beauty products. BUT this one I just keep coming back to. AH-MAZING.
- Clinique Liquid Eyeliner(Similar)- 19.50 This is a great starter liquid eyeliner. Goes on smooth and stays ALL DAY! I am planning a switch to gel eyeliner but haven’t decided on a brand yet. Whats your favorite?
- Clinique Chubby Stick Sculpting Highlight– 21.00 This is a newer purchase for me and its THE BOMB! Easy to use, lasts forever, stays on…
- Maybelline Master Conceal- 7.50 I don’t usually go for drug store brand cosmetics but I read about this one and its really a great buy. Truth moment- I ran out of concealer (Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer) I was in a pinch for time and scooped this up. I am a use it till its gone kinda girl so as long as its working I am going to use it up.
- Cargo Bronzer– 29.00 So amazing, this bronzer lasts FOREVER, I am starting to run low and I am going to make the jump to Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess, I love Cargo but I had the opportunity to try out Bronze Goddess and its unbelievable.
- Estee Lauder Automatic Lip Pencil Duo– 28.00 So beautiful, and perfect for touchups and creating a detailed lip. This liner is my new favorite!! (NOT PICTURED OOPS)
NOW I ALREADY KNOW what you are thinking, that is a shit load of money to spend on makeup. My response, you only get one face. Its worth it to invest in yourself. But you already know that.
I hope you enjoyed the little peak into my beauty routine. My advice if you want to highlight and contour. Put your face on everyday, DO IT. It takes practice and you really need to get to know the products that you are working with. PLUS, you look FIERCE everyday.
Contact me with questions, I am happy to help!